Party Wall

Walls separating property in different ownership (as well as floor structures) often fall under the definition of a “party wall”, as defined by the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.

This law is intended to help prevent disputes arising between owners of neighbouring properties, arising from certain works of repair, extension or demolition.

In many instances when wishing to undertake works to a party wall, or to carry-out the construction of a new building or any extension on or close to the “line of junction”, it is necessary to notify the owners’ of neighbouring properties. There is a formal process governing Party Wall procedures and Kingston Morehen is regularly appointed on behalf of the instigating Building Owner, or by an Adjoining Owner that has received a Notice, to undertake the role of Party Wall Surveyor. Additionally, we are often appointed as the “Agreed Surveyor” to administer the Party Wall Act procedures in respect of both properties.

The agreement of a document known as a Party Wall Award can significantly reduce the chance of future disputes arising, or can provide a basis for resolving a future dispute.

In cases where a Building Owner serves a Notice and the Adjoining Owner consents to the work, is it still wise to have a formal Schedule of Condition produced, to record the condition of the neighbour’s property in advance of works commencing.

The Party Wall procedures specifically exclude determining the legal boundary line between properties, but Kingston Morehen can assist with this separately.

The lead Surveyor for Party Wall work at Kingston Morehen is Kevin Feakins, who is both a member of the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors and of the Pyramus and Thisbe Society.